Friday, July 08, 2005

Old Cape Cod


I'm always anxious to visit new places so I can add the proverbial new notch to my travel belt. But there's one place I revisit again and again: Provincetown, Massachusetts. There's just something magical about the place to me. Sure, it's a quaint town with tons of character, art galleries and shopping. Sure, there are gorgeous beaches and secluded dunes. And sure, it's packed with a diverse crowd of gay men and women strolling the streets along with straight families. And I love if for all those reasons. But there's something else about P-town that calls me back again and again. I've given up trying to figure it out. I've given into this love and make a point to visit at least once a year. I'm smitten! This year, I'll be making my annual pilgrimage from July 21-25...just a short trip, but enough to satisfy my Provincetown itch for awhile.

Provincetown is literally at the end of the world (or at least the tip of Cape Cod), but it's relatively easy to reach. After flying into Boston on an overnight flight, it's just a short subway or cab ride to the nearest ferry landing. Two companies,
Bay State Cruises and Boston Harbor Cruises, offer fast ferry service from downtown Boston right to the docks of Provincetown. In just 1.5 hours after leaving Beantown, you'll be strolling Commercial Street in Provincetown! It sure beats a 2+ hour car drive (without traffic).

Once you get to Provincetown, there are tons of guesthouses, hotels, condos and houses you can rent. But snagging a space in the height of the summer season can be a bit...challenging...and expensive. Most rentals have a 7-day minimum during July and August, but you might find a flexible owner. Two good rental organizations with lots of inventory are
We Need a Vacation, and Cyberrentals. Decide whether you want to stay in the East End (quieter with all the galleries) or the West End (a little more lively, with most of the retail stores, and closer to the beach). There are too many guesthouses to name here, but just do a Google search, and you're sure to find one in your price range. As for the beach, the main gay beach, Herring Cove, is about a mile or so from the center of town. Which is why you'll want to rent a bike while you're there. Plus there's a fantastic bike trail through the dunes of the National Seashore...not to be missed.

I could go on and on and on about all the great things about Provincetown, but it's best if you discover it for yourself. I bet you fall in love, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hеy there, mу namе is Ѕaul and I'm a fellow blogger out of Sorradile, Italia. I'm glaԁ to see the ωoгκ you're doing on this site. There's no dоubt that Bloggеr: Thе Tгаѵel
Coach іs an example οf intelligеnt work and гeρorting.

Continuе the good ωork guys: Ι’ve incorрoгatеԁ you
guys tο mу blogroll. In my opinion it will boоst
the аppeаl оf my оwn blog.

Have а look at my web ѕite ... gegenüber