Monday, May 16, 2005

Cool Trip Idea #1: Firetower Rentals

Welcome to "Cool Trip Ideas", my special ongoing series about trips I think sound, well, COOL. First cool idea: Firetower Rentals. I've had this idea for quite some time, but it was just featured in the SF Chronicle and VIA magazine, so I guess it's not that "secret" of an idea after all. Run by the U.S. Forest Service, this program lets you rent unused fire-spotting towers in forests throughout the U.S. These towers (and cabins) are very rustic and usually in very remote locations, so they're not for finicky, room-service-loving type of travelers. But if you're looking for someplace quiet with no distractions, a firetower might just be for you. Reserving a firetower can be challenging. Reservations for the entire coming year open up on January 1, so you gotta do a little advance planning. This year, I forgot to make a reservation until nearly February, and I was SOL. Ah well, maybe I'll have better luck in 2006. For information on booking firetowers and cabins, click here.

No comments: